Ferndale Yoga, massage, meditation and wellness
So if you've dived head first into the wellness pool; exploring meditation, yoga, green smoothies, clean eating, bodywork & other areas of wellness you've probably come across the term Chakra. We've finally dedicated ourselves to taking care of our bodies, our minds, even our spirits.....but now we have to take care of our energy centers? If you're beginning to find there is no end and the whole thing is getting a little too woo woo for you, let me give you some advice.....do yourself a favor and learn about these core aspects of yourself-the woo woo in you will thank you!
So here's the low down on our Chakras.....we have 1000s of them, but to keep it simple we are going to quickly go over our 7 main Chakras. The word Chakra is Sanskrit for 'wheel' or 'disk'. It is said in Hinduism and many other Eastern religions that we not only have our physical bodies; made up of organs, blood, bones and the other things that make us us, but we also have energetic bodies. Auras, Meridians, Chakras & Doshas oh my! A Chakra is an energy center, a spinning vortex of energy located in the body & can extend outward as well. Our 7 main energy centers run vertically up the length of the spine, beginning just below the spine at our perineum and ending up above the crown of our head. Each Chakra has a different frequency, a different vibration. These vibrations radiate a certain color frequency as well, that's why you may have heard that Chakras have different colors. Each energy center helps to regulate not only physical but emotional function, and these can fluctuate throughout our entire lives from childhood until our last days in this physical body.
On a physical level, our Chakras are connected to our Endocrine system, so glandular function may be affected if these frequencies get out of whack. Emotionally, each Chakra is connected to a different part of our selves, such as creativity, self esteem, security and more deeply engrained personality traits. Some of our Chakras can develop at certain times in our lives, and it varies from males to females. Take me for example, my throat Chakra has been very closed during most of my life. I was shy, had terrible anxiety whenever I had to speak in public, didn't know how to express myself. It wasn't until my mid-thirties I finally found my voice! I'm now a teacher, a coach & speak in front of dozens of people at a time (with a smile on my face!). It just took a while for that part of me to become fully developed. Sometimes our Chakras are cool and balanced, all is good. But sometimes they can be overloaded, depleted or somewhere in between. Our Chakras are often envisioned as lotus flowers and they can be in several stages from a closed bud to full bloom. Lost yet? No worries, if you know what these parts of ourselves represent, you can use that information to put more tools on your tool belt to help keep you balanced! Let's get started and break it down:
7 Main Chakras-starting from the bottom up:
1. Root Chakra (Muladara Chakra)-located at the perineum this is our basic energy center, red in color and representing our survival instincts, security & groundedness. This chakra is the foundation of the development of our personality & connected to our adrenal glands & sympathetic nervous system.
2. Sacral Chakra (Svadisthana Chakra)-This energy center resides below our navel by our sacrum, the triangular bone between our lumbar spine and our tailbone. Also known as 'the sweetness', this Chakras regulates our desires, self-expression and intimacy. Residing behind our sexual organs it helps regulate our ovaries or testes as well as our sexuality.
3. Solar Plexus Chakra (Manipura Chakra)-This yellow, fiery, solar energy of the sun sits at the space just above our navel. Here sits our personal power & self esteem-our 'go-getter' attitude. Here's our pranic energy, our life force, is created and distributed to the rest of the body & where our egos are developed. This Chakra is connected to our pancreas and adrenal glands.
4. Heart Chakra (Anahata Chakra)-Resonating green in color this center is located in the space surrounding our hearts. Controlling our self-forgiveness, universal loving kindness & compassion this Chakra acts as the bridge between our lower physical self & our higher/spiritual selves. Connected to our thymus gland this energy center is said to be where to soul resides.
5. Throat Chakra (Visuddha Chakra)- Our communication, both with ourselves and others, as well as our inner listening, this Chakra develops our personality, thoughts & our emotions. Offering the color sky blue this center is connected to our thyroid and parathyroid.
6. Third Eye Chakra (Ajna Chakra)- Located at the space in the center of our forehead our intuition & inner wisdom resides. The color of indigo blue, the night sky, this space is also the 'communication center' & 'commander' of our other Chakras and is connected to our pineal gland.
7. Crown Chakra (Sahasrara Chakra)-Our final main Chakra is the highest part of ourselves; our connection to the Divine, our understanding. A beautiful white or sometimes violet colors, this 1000 petal lotus is our purest consciousness, connected to our pituitary gland.
There are several ways to help keep these parts of yourself balanced through meditation, Reiki or Pranic energy healing, yoga, chanting with Bija mantras and more. Simply wearing the color of the Chakra you are working on can help facilitate balance. So there you have it, the low down on our Chakras! If you'd like to learn a little more about these energy centers I will be hosting a Chakras 101 workshop Sunday May 22nd at 6:30 pm. Visit the events page and reserve your spot today. Here we will dive in a little deeper into these energy centers and do meditations to help find balance-with information & meditations you can take home.
Stay cool and balanced, Lotus Tribe. Namaste.
Hello lovelies. I hope you enjoy my journey of discovering my magick and Divine Feminine along with health, wealth of spirit and evolution. I am happy to share my experiences with you to heal, love, and evolve. Namaste-Heather aka Akasha Rae